Friday, September 30, 2011

Banned Books Week is almost done...

As we're nearing the end of Banned Books Week, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on some things I've learned over the past few years...

1. Yellow crime scene tape will always make people look twice at what you're doing.
2. The FBI has the best design format for wanted posters.
3. Inevitably someone will always think we're the ones trying to ban books.
4. When someone declares "I can't believe ...they would try to get rid of [insert title here]" it still brings a smile to my face.
5. Yes, they really did try to ban Harry Potter. Several times. No lie.
6. I'm lucky that our own Hiawatha Police don't even think twice when I ask for crime scene tape, especially considering my questionable background. (Just kidding...)
7. The majority of what are considered literary classics have been challenged or banned. Seriously.
8. Coralville Public Library did the coolest Banned Books Display ever. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150386345222288&set=pu.8412382287&type=1&theater See. Coolest. Ever. Totally jealous.
9. This still remains my favoritest week of the year.
10. Freedom of speech and expression is probably one of the most important freedoms we have. So read irresponsibly. :)

No comments: