Monday, November 3, 2008

Oh yeah, vote this!

As I'm sure you're all well aware of by now, tomorrow is election day. (And if you aren't aware, then I have to ask where the heck you've been!)

I am not going to endorse any candidate in my blog. (For one, I'm not allowed to...) Or tell you what issues are important. But I am going to encourage all of you to get out and vote.

"Why vote?" "Who cares?" "I don't like either of the candidates"...I have heard these statements so much over the last few months. These statements not only annoy me, they actually kind of infuriate me. You should care. And you should vote. Period. We have a system in this country that allows us the opportunity to elect our officials. We have a system that allows us to choose. These are extraordinary rights we have in this country. Ones that are guaranteed. There are hundreds, if not thousands of places in the world where people actually die attempting to do something that we are guaranteed.

Further more, it is important to remember all of the people in this country, whom years ago, fought so that we could all have the right to vote. In 1870, African Americans got the right to vote, in 1920 it was women who got the vote, in 1940 it was Native Americans, and in 1971 it was all of us 18 and older. These groups made sacrifices to allow us this right. It's important not to forget that.

Again, as I stated before, I will not tell you who to vote for, or what issues to care about. I have my positions on both of them, but will keep them to myself. But I will tell you to get out and vote, it's one of the most important duties as citizens we have.

I've cast my vote already...now it's your turn!

No comments: