Monday, March 17, 2008

Green beer anyone?

Happy St. Patty's Day, to ya!

As someone of Irish descent (if the last name doesn't give it away, the first name most certainly will!), I feel a little obligated to wish everyone Happy St. Patty's Day. My Irish lineage comes from my father's side...check out the link below to find out a little bit more about the history of my name
(we're even cool enough to have a family crest...wooo!):

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/keating-family-crest.htm

Like many Irish families, mine came over during the potato famine and settled in New York before branching out. Speaking of potatoes...my mother always tells the story of the first holiday that she and my father hosted for his family shortly after they were married. My mom made a little side dish of potatoes to go along with the rest of the meal. As the dishes started to be passed, my mom soon realized that after 3 people, the potatoes were gone! My poor mother, embarrassed, went back into the kitchen to make more! Ever since then, she makes at least a triple batch of potatoes when my father's side is over for dinner! Like any good Irish family, we sure do like our taters!

Finally, I'll leave you with an Irish blessing...


An Old Irish Blessing


May love and laughter light your days,and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!

P.S. If you're going out in search of green beer tonight...please do so responsibly! (And drink one for me, because I'll be working!)




No comments: