Thursday, November 29, 2007

All my exes live in Texas...


Greetins' ya'll! I'm down here in Austin, Texas for the week. My mom is at the National Reading Conference (translation: a whole bunch of educators really excited about research), and I came down for the ride (and shopping). I have to say that I've been quite impressed by Austin. For one, the weather is a heck of a lot warmer than it is in Iowa. It's been roughly upper 60's to low 70's for the past few days...niiiiice! You're darn right I'm gonna rub it in!!

But it's also not what I would have expected from Texas. See, I kinda have a stereotyping problem when it comes to Texas. The bad little midwesterner in me wants to laugh at the southern drawls (don't they know how to enunciate their words?!) and the big trucks (we wonder why there's global warming) and the generally large ego of Texas (so what if you happen to be one of the biggest states in the union...). But I have to admit (as much as I don't want to) that I am quite impressed by Austin. For one, they have a very eclectic city. While dillo hopping (aka riding the trolleys) with my mom the other day, it was so interesting to see the diversity of the city. There would be this really fabulous, trendy boutique right next to a vintage consignment shop. The same went for people. We had a man in suit and tie sitting across from us and in front of us was a woman who literally was pretty much covered in tattoos and piercings. I have an appreciation for all things diverse, odd and eclectic, and Austin is definately adding to them!

Oh, and the shopping! For those of you who don't know I have a very deep love of shopping. As a matter of fact, in my list of dream jobs, "personal shopper" is ranked #2...right behind shoe designer. Anyways, they have wonderful shopping here for any of you who also have that same deep and gratifying love that I do!

Next on the agenda...to find the public library and the state library. Yes, I'm a giant nerd and love to tour other public libraries, especially those in other states. So my mission tomorrow is to locate those two libraries and take a tour of them. I also hope to hit up the LBJ library, the Texas State History Museum, possibly an art museum or two and then it's off to the 6th Avenue district, where the rumor is that there is a bar called The Librarian. (I hear that's where all the cool librarians hang out!! Ha!

Until my next post, I'll say "bye ya'll"!!

No comments: