Monday, November 19, 2007

Stolen

I'm peeved. No wait, not peeved. I'm pissed. Not because it's Monday. And no, it has nothing to do with the fact that I have yet to consume an adequate amount of caffeine to make me function properly. You see, we've had a little problem lately with CD's and DVD's being stolen. This is a big issue to me because I'm the one who does the ordering of them. I'm also the one who manages the budget for them. So when these items are stolen, guess who's budget it comes out of...mine.

So you see, I'm a little pissy about this. Just this past weekend I had two CD's that were missing the discs out of the cases when patrons checked them out. I went to Jeaneal's office to gripe...here's a snippet of that conversation:


Molly: GRRRR
Jeaneal: What now?

Molly: (whips open CD case) This *&!@# pisses me off!
Jeaneal: I'm sorry
Molly: Can I post signs threatening death and dismemberment if caught stealing them?
Jeaneal: Uh, no.

Molly: Can I post signs threatening prosecution to the fullest extent of the law, not limited to electrocution?
Jeaneal: *laughing* Uh, nope.
Molly: *sighs*

This is a big issue to me. For one, whoever is taking these is stealing from a library. Yeah, you know, one of those brilliant institutions that allows you to check out materials for free. Free kids. Novel concept, I know. Where else in this day and age can you get anything for free?! Seriously. *sigh*

But my real reason for being pissy about this is that the majority of our budget and funding comes from those glorious taxpayers of Hiawatha. So when you steal from us, you're also stealing from them too. Quite frankly, I don't want to have to explain to the taxpayers of Hiawatha why I continually need budget increases to help cover the cost of items being stolen from the collection. They may have a *good* reason to be pissy too!

So yes, I'm a tad pissy about this whole thing. Besides, it's kind of hard not to take it a little personally when it's your blood, sweat, and tears behind the scenes ordering, cataloging, and processing these materials. It takes a fair amount of time for me to all of this, so when something that I literally just put out gets stolen...well, it makes me feel like all of my hard work went for nothing.

So, if any of you who happen to be stealing from us come across this little blog of mine. Here's my advice to you: KNOCK IT OFF!!!

No comments: