Friday, November 30, 2007

Armadillo Rising

Yep...here it is...my chronicles of Austin part deux...

I have discovered a new creature to love. Armadillos. I find them so absurdly cute. I have to first explain that I have a love of really ugly creatures. I do. I can't help it. I find ugly creatures cute. And well...armadillos kinda fall under that category. You see this creature depicted everywhere down here! They even name their public transportation after them! So here's my new little buddy:
Absurdly cute and stylish...we were meant to be together!

What else? Well, we found it...the Library Bar in Downtown Austin. It wasn't really what we thought it was going to be. Evidently, it's not where all the cool librarians hang out. It was a little...eh...shady... but regardless, I still had my picture taken in front of it! And then proceeded down 6th Street only to be asked 5 times whether I could "spare a dollar" (do I really look that wealthy?!) as well as whether or not we "ladies" (my mom and I) would like a tattoo. Apparently we looked a little too normal for them. Notice the look of apprehension on my face...

Anywho, today we also checked out the Lyndon Baynes Johnson Presidential Library and Museum. Very fascinating stuff. You know, I was blown away by the similarities of what was happening when he was president and what is happening in our country currently. It was a very interesting tour. At his library there are over 50 million archived materials from his time in office. Can you believe that?! 50 million...the archived materials are housed separately on four floors in that place. Just amazing! There's yours truly, just outside the museum.


We then headed over to the Texas State History Museum for a little travel down history lane. To be honest, I wasn't totally impressed by it all. There were some interesting exhibits...but I found some of it to be quite one-sided and slightly egotistical. I suppose much of that is my own bias as was explained in the previous blog.

Finally we wound up at the 1886 Bakery and Cafe. Oh my lands! I swear to you that it is some of the best food that I have ever eaten! Here's the dessert I had:




Yeah...I know you're jealous! It was called the 1886 Chocolate Cake and was made from an old Austin recipe and topped with, get this, Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream. Yes kids, it was a little slice of heaven on earth! I'm drooling a little just blogging about it...mmmm.... Finally, we checked out the Driskill Hotel, which is actually where the 1886 was located. Talk about a beautiful piece of history! The architecture is simply stunning. The entire place has been restored to its original state. It is just beautiful! Take a look for yourself...


Sadly, we have to leave tomorrow to head back to Iowa. Although I'm not sure we'll make it back tomorrow. It sounds as though there's some interesting weather coming up that way. So we'll see...here's hoping that I don't have to sleep in an airport...because if I do, you're going to have one heck of a whiny rant come Monday!
Thanks for tuning in ya'll! I'll be back to Hiawatha on Monday!

No comments: