Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Library Bill of Thanks

Since Thanksgiving is tomorrow and like most of you, I'll be scarfing down turkey and what ever else they may put in front of me, I've decided to do this post a day early. This is my library bill of thanks. These are all things library related that I am so thankful for.

* I am thankful for the Library Bill of Rights and the Freedom to Read and View Statements. These are fundamental rights proclaimed for all libraries and in essence what libraries stand for. The coolest part of all? The Library Bill of Rights was written by Forrest Spaulding, a former director of the Des Moines Public Library!

*I am thankful for those who continually fight for intellectual freedom in our libraries. If there is one thing in this world that makes me want to work in libraries it is this sole issue. I truly believe in the right for all people to access information and ideas, including those that may be unpopular or unorthodox. This is why I love being a librarian!

*I am thankful to the State Library of Iowa for their continuous and unwavering support for all libraries in Iowa. They provide us with a vast number of resources and continuing education classes so that we, as librarians can continue to find new and better ways to serve our patrons.

*I am thankful for our LSA's, in particular our very own East Central Library Service for all of their support, advice, and services that they offer us and our patrons.



*I am thankful for the other libraries in the Metro Library Network: Cedar Rapids and Marion. As a partnership, we are stronger than we would be alone. I love that we are able to share materials, ideas, programming and various other services to better serve those that live in the metro area.

*I am thankful to the Mayor and City Council of Hiawatha who continue to make sure that our little library stays funded properly and help to keep us operating.

*I am thankful to the residents of Hiawatha whose taxes put books on our shelves, keep our Internet running and help provide programming for children and adults.


*I am thankful to our Library Board for all of their support and decisions that reflect their ongoing support for a better library. (P.S. Dian...I really really wanna go to PLA in March! Ha!)

*I am thankful to our Friends group. They work so hard for us year round with their semi-annual booksales and the ongoing Friends booksale room. They also work hard to offer us support in any way they can. Did I mention that they give the staff a wonderful Christmas party too?!

*I am thankful for our director, Jeaneal. She is quite possibly the most amazing person I have had the priviledge of working for. (And no, Jeaneal I'm not simply saying this so that you'll give me a good review next year! But it can't hurt, right?) She has given me more insight into my job, allowed me to branch out and try new things, and trusted my judgement and abilities on a number of matters. But most importantly, she puts up with my whining and has yet to kill me for it! (Although, she has whacked me upside the head a couple of times...she claims it was an involuntary reaction... I beg to differ!)

*I am thankful for our assistant director, Pat. She truly is the master of all trades! If there is something that needs to be done, a problem to be solved, computers to be fixed (or destroyed...even if it's only in a daydream), Pat is our go to gal! She has helped me many times both professionally and personally and truly dedicates herself to her position and to her co-workers. Did I also mention that she has a wicked sense of humor? Yeah...she's just awesome!

*I am thankful for my co-workers: Alicia, Linda, Jean and Laure. These ladies are some of the most wonderful people that I have met. They are supportive, understanding, humorous, and above all, they are amazing women! I feel so priviledged to work with them all and to call them my co-workers. But more than that, they are my library family, one of the best I have ever been a part of!

*I am thankful for our pages, Jamie and Melissa. These girls do the dirty work around here...they make sure that everything gets back in its place! They also jump in when needed to help us out. I think I speak for the rest of the staff when I say that we truly could not do it without these gals!

*I am thankful for our volunteers who put in lots of hours helping us out, simply out of the goodness of their hearts! Thank you!


*I am thankful to our drivers Mark and Lowell who bring the materials (and chocolate) from the other libraries for us. They always do it with a big smile on their face, even when the weather is less than ideal. Did I mention that they bring chocolate?

*I am thankful for our mailman, Howard. Even if he can be a pest...he always has a way of making us laugh and he puts up with a lot of grief from us too! Oh, and he delivers our mail!


And finally, I am thankful to all of our patrons who visit us. We truly appreciate all that you bring to our library!

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving...I know I will!

No comments: